Friday, March 20, 2009

Having My Basement Barber Carpet Professionally Cleaned

Well it's finally done. My basement carpet was cleaned professionally today and it looks much better. So much better than I dearly wish I'd done this right away when the damage happened. The delay resulted in some imperfections that may never be completely fixed, and if we'd attended to the water problem right away it could have been cleaned back to original condition. Unfortunately I still have some left over mildew stains in the deep ruts where the heavy furniture sat.

The good news is that those deep creases will eventually relax and I can use a concentrated color safe bleach solution combined with my hand held steam cleaner to continually work to get those mildew stains to come out. The pros thought it would eventually come out with repeated bleaching efforts. They did a fabulous job on everything else. The rust stains are gone, the carpet is actually its original color again, and I had no idea how dirty it had become. It was fascinating to see the line between what they had cleaned and what was still dirty. That "off white" colored carpet was actually gray and I hadn't even noticed!

Berber is known for being a very tight weave and can really take a beating. I agree. However, I wouldn't recommend putting it in your basement like we did. Since it does have that tight weave it holds water really well and can make the cleaning process a lot tougher. It would be great in areas that won't be prone to water damage.

Berber is very soothing for some people. Even though there were some stained areas I still felt warmer and more secure somehow just because the floor was covered in berber. It's a very solid, firm carpet, but with a thick pad underneath is also very cushiony. I like it. And I like it even more now that it's clean!

For more information on cleaning berber carpet please see our website.

Building A Room Addition

No comments:

Post a Comment