Sunday, April 26, 2009

Steel Studs - How Do I Love Thee? - Let Me Count the Ways

Its time you folks knew the truth about steel studs.

I am a passionate person by nature.

My number one passion for the last three decades has been steel studs and the architectural wonders that can be achieved using them.

In this, and many future segments, we will discuss the beneficial attributes of steel studs. The Internet is a beautiful thing. With the tap of a button you can access volumes of information on whatever subject you can think of. There's only one problem. You don't know if the information you're getting is correct.

Look No Further

Friends, Don't go anywhere else for your steel stud framing information. This site is written by a professional steel stud framer.

Age is Just a Number

I started my steel stud career back when Disco ruled the airwaves and the Cold War was in full swing.

I was told about a possible job opportunity by a friend of mine who was vacating his position to begin a stint in the military. He said I could take his place if I wanted. All I had to do was show up at the jobsite. As it was summer and I wasn't in school I figured I would go earn a few bucks and stay busy for a couple of months.

When I showed up at the appointed place and time I found myself in front of an eight story high rise apartment building on the outskirts of Miami. I climbed to the third floor, met the boss who handed me a screwgun and was told to screw off the bottoms of all the studs on that floor. This consisted of thirty-six apartments with several hundred steel studs each. I'll let you do the math. After a week of bending over pushing screws I had finally reached the last apartment and was overcome with a sense of elation knowing that my personal Hell had come to an end. I hurried upstairs to tell the boss I was finished and to accept what I was sure would be much back slapping and congratulations only to discover another floor full of steel studs awaiting me. Meanwhile the framing crew had already moved up to the next floor and were half way done with it.

Thus began my three decade love affair with steel studs.

Diamonds in the Rough

Just as steel is tempered in fire and diamonds are created under extreme heat and pressure so too are true craftsmen forged in the flames of experience. These were the days of piece work framing when you got paid on a production basis. Prices were by the lineal foot and if you weren't pushing screws you weren't getting paid. The more you could produce in an hour the more money you made. This was just the opposite of the hourly mindset of today where the less you have to do to earn your hourly wage the better.

Time was money and quality was of paramount importance because if you had to go back to fix something you did it on your dime. Now days if a guy has to go back and fix his own work he looks at it as job security. My, how times have changed.

So know that this is the first of many articles explaining what can be done with steel studs. My main intention today is for you to understand that I am a steel stud framer; I don't just play one on T.V.

The world is full of many talented steel stud framers and I have had the privilege of calling many of them friend. Unfortunately for people seeking information on the Internet, none of these spectacular individuals has created a website.

I extend an open invitation to all experienced steel stud framers to help us educate the general population by showing the many things that can be accomplished with steel studs. Leave your comments and recommendations on our contact page.

COPYRIGHT 2009 BY EDWARD B. CLARK

"By Helping Others, We Help Ourselves"

Edward B. Clark.

http://free-drywall-solutions.com

Stucco Finish Around Windows

No comments:

Post a Comment